From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:57:12
1 On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > As has been pointed out previously, the "base" profile does not set
3 > USE="perl python", so negating those flags in the server profile does
4 > basically nothing. If certain packages have IUSE="+perl +python" it
5 > might make a difference, but I don't think I have ever seen that.
6 >
7 > IMO, setting truetype and xml for a "server" profile is just weird.
10 Yup, server profile is essentially base profile plus snmp, truetype,
11 and xml. That really doesn't make sense.
12
13 ++ to just dropping it, and by all means if people see ways to make
14 the base profile even more minimal please chime in, but it is already
15 the most minimal profile out there.
16
17 If somebody wants to come up with a server profile that actually makes
18 sense by all means do so, but I think the current one is just baggage.
19 If we wanted server profiles that made sense most likely it would be
20 part of some more holistic program (with docs, etc) and broken down by
21 server type (mail, web, LAMP, etc). That doesn't exist now, and I'm
22 not planning to build it. :)
23
24 Rich