From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: TeXLive modular ebuilds ready(?) for the main portage tree
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:07:48
1 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>:
2 > I've had several success reports, and fixed the remaining (known) bugs
3 > there. I was thinking that it might be time to integrate this to the
4 > official tree, as a first shoot under package.mask.
5
6 You would make so many people happy, if one has a look at the size of
7 the CC field on the bug.
8
9 > As you might guess it, having a modular layout can give dependencies
10 > problems. I was thinking about adding some (new style) virtuals to
11 > handle them :
12 > - virtual/tex-base : programs that need only standard tex binaries or
13 > libraires (like kpathsea) but do not need it to compile latex files
14 > for example. There are a very very few of such packages and are ok
15 > with the next virtual, so I dunno if that one is really necessary,
16 > apart for reducing deps to the minimal set.
17
18 I am against it, as it will make maintenance a bit harder.
19
20 > - virtual/latex-base : packages that need a (basic) latex, for example
21 > to compile their documentation. This virtual will help preventing from
22 > having circular dependencies between ebuilds (esp. the meta ebuild and
23 > its dependencies)
24 > - virtual/latex-full : a full latex distribution installation, what
25 > other tex distributions like tetex provide. This one can use the
26 > current old style virtual (virtual/tetex) instead of being a new one,
27 > but the name is better imho.
28
29 Full ack with those two. It is a pain in the ass to maintain 1000s of
30 ebuilds in the tree for every single LaTeX package that TeXLive
31 provides so I am all in favour of a install all.
32
33 > Something that annoys me is the license : there is [3], [4] and [5],
34 > so GPL-2 might probably be fine, but I'm definitely not a lawyer...
35
36 You can add several licenses to LICENSE. And a lot of packages are
37 LPPL, so you really need to adjust it. There has been a discussion on
38 the TeXLive about the licenses [1].
39
40 > Now a question to arch teams : Should I keyword this for systems I've
41 > tested it or just add without keywords and let you do another layer of
42 > checks ? I've been using it on ~x86 (and hardenend but mpost had
43 > problems), ~amd64 and ~ppc64 (this one has some missing deps, but
44 > don't worry I'll poke you as soon as I'll have done extra checks ;) ).
45
46 I am all for new keywording as it is a major step forward from teTeX.
47
48 > As a side note, I'll have to send 1.3k+ files to distfiles-local as
49 > upstream does not provide versionned names of the source files, for a
50 > total of ~700-800M. Since this is huge, I hope infra has no particular
51 > objection to it.
52
53 Talk to them directly.
54
55 V-Li
56
57 [1] <URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.live/14569>
60 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
61 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
62
63 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>