From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:52:39
1 On Friday 08 October 2004 08:33, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > Particular citation (skipping tags):
3 > "There must at least be one herd subtag. The contents of this tag should be
4 > the name of be a herd as specified in the herds.xml file. It must occur at
5 > least once. Besides being member of a herd, a package can also be
6 > maintained directly."
7 >
8 Unfortunately the maintainers of most herds have this to mean that the
9 maintainer must also be member of the team that maintains that herd. Most
10 maintainers don't really want to do that, they jus want to maintain the
11 package. I can also tell you the rationale behind this. It is to ensure that
12 packages keep being maintained even when the maintainer leaves / gets hit by
13 a truck / ...
14
15 > The rationale being (and that was touched upon in those old discussions
16 > multiple times) that there always is a fall-back. Thus strictly speaking
17 > no-herd is against the policy as this is not a valid herd (or even not a
18 > herd at all).
19
20 I designed it as a stopgap as initially there were no herds at all so people
21 should be able to express that they maintained some package without needing
22 to immediately find a herd.
23
24 > Observe also that no-herd is nowhere to be found on that page. This is not
25 > an omission but rather a "simptome". There was no mention of no-herd
26 > entries when the policy was developed and metadata format worked out.
27 > no-herd entries started to appear later on without much fuss. They were
28 > noticed and the issue brought up and according to what I remember no real
29 > decision was made on them. The general feeling I have is that they were
30 > "tolerated" by more strict policy followers with the understanding that
31 > this is a temporary measure and we should try to minimize their use and get
32 > rid of them whenever possible.
33
34 I tell you this is exactly the idea.
35