From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use land-misc herd where appropriate! No no-herd madness!!!
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 06:33:09
1 Ok, to ease this off I should state up front that, while I strongly feel that
2 we should adhere to existing regulations and common sense as much as
3 possible, practical considerations (see end of this message) do not allow to
4 just outright kill no-herd entries which we accumulated plenty already. Thus
5 please observe the wording I used in my original message:
6 > > This is a big fat reminder that no-herd is really against the policy and
7 > > should not be used
8 > > *if you can find appropriate herd*!!
9 (see the emphasis)
12 However since this is such a hot topic I believe a short historical excurse is
13 in order.
14
15 > Where is this policy? (url please!)
16 The policy originated way back when metadata were only discussed. I believe
17 most general and strict formulation was in one of Daniel (Robbins)'s emails
18 back then. Unfortunately many procedural "regulations" were not properly
19 written down (glep's were not around either), so best coverage would be in
20 the mailing list archives which we don't have, least for gmane.org ones if
21 they go that far back.
22
23 This particular point, however, is covered in devrel handbook, metadata page:
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=4#doc_chap2
25
26 Particular citation (skipping tags):
27 "There must at least be one herd subtag. The contents of this tag should be
28 the name of be a herd as specified in the herds.xml file. It must occur at
29 least once. Besides being member of a herd, a package can also be maintained
30 directly."
31
32 In other words:
33 every package *must* belong to a herd (and may belong to multiple herds)
34 Additionally a package *may* have a maintainer
35
36 The rationale being (and that was touched upon in those old discussions
37 multiple times) that there always is a fall-back. Thus strictly speaking
38 no-herd is against the policy as this is not a valid herd (or even not a herd
39 at all).
40
41 Observe also that no-herd is nowhere to be found on that page. This is not an
42 omission but rather a "simptome". There was no mention of no-herd entries
43 when the policy was developed and metadata format worked out. no-herd entries
44 started to appear later on without much fuss. They were noticed and the issue
45 brought up and according to what I remember no real decision was made on
46 them. The general feeling I have is that they were "tolerated" by more strict
47 policy followers with the understanding that this is a temporary measure and
48 we should try to minimize their use and get rid of them whenever possible.
49
50 Of course nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution :). So, these
51 are the practical considerations I cited in the opening. One possible way to
52 avoid no-herd entries is to create a more generic herd that would accommodate
53 various "smaller breads" that did not warrant a herd of their own. Multiple
54 developers may sign up. Individual involvement may be regulated by the <role>
55 tags in herds.xml and/or <maintainer> entries in metadata.xml (observe
56 and/or, this does not involve data duplication).
57
58 Again, issue at stake here is insuring that no package remains unsupported in
59 the case of its maintainer departure, - a holy grail of our herding attempt
60 which, sadly, is not likely to be finished any time soon.
61
62 Ok, I hope this explains situation a bit. To completely close the issue I just
63 want to (again) note that main emphasis of my original message was to bring
64 attention of maintainers of packages that could fall under lang-misc.
65 I modified metadata of a few such packages replacing no-herd with lang-misc
66 (of the latest erlang comes to mind) and removing maintainer entry listing
67 myself (I am on that herd). However I left the 2nd maintainer entry intact
68 and did not add these devs to lang-misc in herds.xml (which I would though
69 moderately suggest ;), although I believe this should be at the discretion of
70 the involved dev).
71
72 George
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list