From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'mad' vs 'mp3' USE flags
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:56:49
1 On Friday 14 July 2006 20:20, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > See, it is this kind of self-serving attitude that really needs to stop
3 > around here. So the portage devs didn't include something that you
4 > wanted in the latest release... Did you give them a patch for it?
5 Do I ask people to give me patches to xine-lib when they report bugs?
6
7 > Making decisions like this that confuse our users and make the
8 > distribution harder to use and more inconsistent
9 I find disputable that my solution is "harder to use and more inconsistent". I
10 actually find it more consistent across all the arches and platforms we have,
11 as Ciaran already said.
12
13 > because you have a
14 > personal beef with another team simply because they didn't drop
15 No I didn't do that decision because they didn't put per-package use.mask . I
16 did that decision because the only other way to have the same behaviour is
17 resorting to the arch hacking thing that is not acceptable to my eyes. Both
18 solutions aren't beautiful, I still find my solution better than the arch
19 hacking.
20
21 What I'm saying with that thing about portage is that you cannot get to me
22 screaming that I used an improper solution because the only proper solution
23 was _postponed_ by portage team. Which means that if you really don't like
24 this situation you have to tell them, not me.
25
26 > No thanks. I would much rather have a consistent and working
27 > distribution than cater to some childish self-important bullshit that
28 > only harms our users.
29 Exactly my point, so why instead of starting criticising my choice in favour
30 of your choice you don't go writing the famous patch? By the way, a patch
31 there was, by antarus, but needed to be cleaned up. My python skills are
32 weak, and you really don't want to see me hacking to portage, but KingTaco
33 iirc offered to take a look. But freeze was entered before anybody could do
34 anything.
35
36 > I don't give a crap about transcode. I was talking about USE=mp3.
37 > Changing the subject doesn't help anyone.
38 I'm not changing the subject, I'm just showing you that xine-lib's USE=mad is
39 just _one_ of many other similar problems that don't have a proper solution.
42 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
43 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE