From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 'mad' vs 'mp3' USE flags
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:37:02
1 On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:09 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Friday 14 July 2006 16:43, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > While it is a "working" solution, it isn't necessarily a sensible one.
4 > You can take over xine-lib and fix it however you prefer.
5
6 Quite honestly, I don't care.
7
8 > As this, as well as any other idea you can find, is just an HACK until portage
9 > devs implements the per-package use.mask that i asked WAY before 2.1 release,
10 > but was then left OUT of the freeze and thus of the featureset we can use 6
11 > months from now, I REFUSE to change the behaviour.
12
13 See, it is this kind of self-serving attitude that really needs to stop
14 around here. So the portage devs didn't include something that you
15 wanted in the latest release... Did you give them a patch for it?
16 Making decisions like this that confuse our users and make the
17 distribution harder to use and more inconsistent because you have a
18 personal beef with another team simply because they didn't drop
19 everything and do what you wanted them to work on instead of what they
20 already had on their plates does not help our distribution. Instead, it
21 makes us look like a bunch of selfish little babies.
22
23 No thanks. I would much rather have a consistent and working
24 distribution than cater to some childish self-important bullshit that
25 only harms our users.
26
27 > You should know better than me this problem, considering that you masked
28 > media-video/transcode on x86 2.4 profile because it was depending on
29 > linux-headers 2.6 (as it should have been) with v4l2 useflag enabled. You
30 > should have use.masked (as it was later done) that useflag as it's 2.6
31 > specific, and I did it that way to satisfy sparc requirement of not having
32 > v4l useflag present for them, as it failed with 2.4 kernel.
33 >
34 > So if I didn't do it that way, forcing people wanting v4l support to use v4l
35 > v4l2, now I should still have the stupid, broken, idiotic transcode 0.6 in
36 > the tree, or one of the x86 deptrees broken, or one of the x86 deptrees with
37 > NO v4l at all.
38
39 I don't give a crap about transcode. I was talking about USE=mp3.
40 Changing the subject doesn't help anyone.
41
42 Anyway, I can see that I'm just going to be ignored, and since I don't
43 have the time to personally take over xine-lib, I'm going to drop it and
44 just let you do whatever it is you think is "best" instead.
47 Chris Gianelloni
48 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
49 x86 Architecture Team
50 Games - Developer