From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AUTHORS file for portage repository
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 20:10:52
1 On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > What Copyright-owner header are you talking about?
4
5 We would create one, just as we've created bugzilla tags in git for
6 closing bugs/etc. Surely putting one line in a commit is no more
7 difficult than putting one file in a repository? Indeed anybody can
8 start sticking such a tag in commits today without any involvement
9 from anybody else.
10
11 > You've been the
12 > most outspoken opponent of using what appears to be the standard
13 > attribution form specified in GLEP-76
14
15 When have I been opposed to anything in GLEP 76? I'll admit that I
16 don't 100% agree with everything in there, but I'm fine with following
17 the GLEP as it is written. Multi-line copyright notices aren't in
18 there, and the intent was never to be accumulating copyright holders
19 on the single notice line. An authors file was a compromise I wasn't
20 a huge fan of, but I'm suggesting that if we have one it ought to be
21 auto-generated (presumably with the work being done by somebody who
22 actually wants the file to be there).
23
24 Also, GLEP 76 as it is written says: "Projects using this scheme must
25 track authorship in a VCS, unless they list all authors of
26 copyrightable contributions in an AUTHORS file."
27
28 So, a VCS is the PREFERRED way of doing it. The alternative is
29 listing ALL authors in the authors file. Right now it seems like
30 people are advocating for only listing some authors.
31
32 > I know mailing list debates are your personal pastime but this is a
33 > real wasteoftime.
34
35 You're the one advocating for changing the status quo. I'm happy if
36 we drop the whole topic entirely. You certainly can't point fingers
37 at others when you're proposing doing something differently. We
38 wouldn't be having this discussion if some contributors were unwilling
39 to contribute under our current standards.
42 Rich