From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glep 0042 (news) final draft
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:16:20
1 On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:05:35 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 05:20:06 +0000 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > | "* Portage must extend portageq to implement a command which
7 > | returns whether or not the profile used for a given repository ID
8 > | matches a certain base path (e.g. portageq profile_used
9 > | default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2004.3 gentoo-x86)."
10 > | Wording here is a bit unclear, I assume it's supposed to mean wether
11 > | or not the (any) used profile belongs the the given repoid and is (a
12 > | subprofile of) the given profile name. Using "path" here is
13 > dangerous, | e.g. portageq profile_used base gentoo-x86.
14 >
15 > Hm, that one needs clarifying. Do we even want it to be based upon
16 > inherit path rather than filesystem path?
17
18 If this is intended to replace deprected files one day I think we want
19 (implementation isn't the problem one way or the other btw).
20
21 > | As any substantial change results in a new news item should there be
22 > | an optional "Obsoletes" header? Could be used to make sure people
23 > | only see the most current version (without relying on rsync to wipe
24 > | deleted files).
25 >
26 > I'd really rather not. That makes writing clients a lot harder.
27
28 It does? Just requires them to parse news items upfront and then remove
29 all items matched by an Obsoletes header from the processing queue.
30 Doesn't seem so tricky.
31
32 Marius
37 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
38 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
39 --
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list