From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GNOME migrating from GConf to GSettings; effects on Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 03:17:51
1 On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 22:29 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I was going to file a bug at bugzilla, but this looks like it's going
3 > to involve virtually every GNOME-related app, so playing whack-a-mole is
4 > going to be painfull. It'll have to be tackled higher up, which is why
5 > I'm posting here. I apologize if there is a more correct way of
6 > reporting this. I'm not aware of it. Background...
7 >
8 > GNOME is migrating from GConf to GSettings, as per...
9 > https://developer.gnome.org/gio/2.26/ch26.html
10 > https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration
11
12 GNOME *long ago migrated* from GConf to GSettings. The migration started
13 years ago and was completed with GNOME-3.4, released in spring 2012.
14
15 > This is starting to impact some Gentoo users...
16
17 It impacts users who use stable keywords and are therefore stuck with
18 GNOME-2.32. The workaround is for affected users to switch to ~arch
19 keywords (note that GNOME-3.x ebuilds in ~arch get vastly more care and
20 attention from us than the theoretically stable GNOME-2.32).
21
22 And the real solution is to finally stabilize some release of GNOME-3.x