From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:06:19
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The only hard part is that people have to know the differences between
4 > merging/rebasing, fast-forward merges, non-fast-forward merges etc. and
5 > when and when not to do them.
6 >
7 > 'git rebase' is a powerful thing, but also pretty good to mess up your
8 > local history if used wrong.
9 >
10 > I think we can write up a gentoo-specific guide in 2-3 weeks.
13 Sounds good. I think one thing we need to get over with the whole git
14 migration is the fact that it isn't going to be perfect. We probably
15 will find minor errors in the migration itself, little glitches in the
16 back-end stuff, problems in the proposed workflow, and so on. We're
17 just going to have to adapt. We've been using cvs for eons and have
18 learned to ignore its shortcomings and have well-polished workflows.
19
20 It isn't like there are 500 devs doing commits every day. We're a
21 reasonably tight community and we're just going to have to work
22 together to get over the inevitable bumps.
23
24 It may make sense to just start out with guidelines in the beginning,
25 and then we can turn them into rules when problems actually come up.
26 Once upon a time there wasn't a hard rule about changelog entries for
27 removals/etc, and the world didn't end, but we decided that having the
28 rule made more sense than not having it. With git we should expect
29 more of the same - we won't get it 100% right out of the gate.
32 Rich