From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:11:41
1 Rich Freeman:
2 >
3 > This is one of the blockers. We haven't actually decided how we want
4 > to use git.
7 There are IMO 3 main things to consider for a git workflow:
8 * commit policy
9 * branching model
10 * remote model
11 (and history format somewhere implicitly)
12
13 Deciding on a _commit policy_ should be fairly straightforward and we
14 already have one point
15 * gpg sign every commit (unless it's a merged branch, then we only care
16 about the merge commit)
17
18 More things to consider for commit policy are:
19 * commit message format (line length, maybe prepend category/PN?)
20 * do we expect repoman to run successfully for every commit (I'd say no)?
21 * additional information that must be provided
22 * when to force/avoid merge commits
23
24 Deciding on _branching model_ should be pretty easy here too. We are
25 mainly working on master and there may be developer-specific branches etc.
26 History does not need to be linear.
27 Creating additional branches is up to developers and there are no
28 specific rules about that.
29
30 The _remote model_ is: use a central repository with every developer
31 having push access. I think this is pretty reasonable for our use case,
32 although I'd love to see a linux-like workflow with enforced reviews
33 that propagate through project members/leads. But I'm not sure we need
34 that much overhead, except for non-trivial stuff like eclasses where we
35 already require reviews (well, more or less).
38 The only hard part is that people have to know the differences between
39 merging/rebasing, fast-forward merges, non-fast-forward merges etc. and
40 when and when not to do them.
41
42 'git rebase' is a powerful thing, but also pretty good to mess up your
43 local history if used wrong.
44
45 I think we can write up a gentoo-specific guide in 2-3 weeks.