From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 11:02:58
1 peter:
2
3 > > Whenever we need to deliver a updated app to customers whose OS is
4 > > too old (but updating it is too risky), we could either
5 > > a) keep evenly outdated dev build OSes around forever (oh no!), or
6 > > b) post our newly built app in a container (leaving the lovely native
7 > > world); and both ignore the fact that customers wish maintenance of
8 > > the entire OS actually, too.
9 > > So, ideally, there is c): In a hypothetic case we would prepare a
10 > > entire OS incl. our app (maybe via catalyst?) which would require
11 > > a bootloader-like mini-OS on the customer's side, to receive updates
12 > > over the internet, switch the OS at boot time, and fallback.
13 >
14 > I had a) in mind. Why "oh no!" ? I didn't mean forever.
15
16 Why "Oh no": Well, it works and we are currently going that way. But
17 see the other discussion branch in this thread: It's just a growing
18 maintainment mess over time. In short: Too many OS versions resp.
19 according dev VMs to rebuild new apps against it.
22 > catalyst building specific, "old-like" OSes on which you build new (binpkg)
23 > versions of your app to be installable by emerge on old customer OSes is
24 > admittedly a lot of work, at least initially.
25
26 Yes, that brings in another approach: *If* we had catalyst
27 controlled versions of the (already...) delivered OSes, we could
28 maybe setup a CI/CD like pipeline to re-create the according developer
29 VM (for building a updated app with the exact old dependencies as on
30 the formerly delivered old customer OS). So to say: VM just in time.
31 Well I'll keep that in mind.
32
33 That may help against the VM mess (see above). But building exact
34 (older) OSes still requires a solution to distribute the entire OS
35 incl. app remotely and savely. See also the other discussion branch
36 on that if you like.
37
38 Thanks