From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 00:32:00
1 m1027 wrote:
2 > Wow, wasn't aware of catalyst at all. What a beast in terms of control.
3
4 It's not so well-known maybe because it was created by and for
5 gentoo-releng but if you know what you want it's a fantastic tool.
8 > (FYI: I enjoyed the links on catalyst you sent me directly.
9 > Unfortunatelly I cannot answer you directly due to the default
10 > TLS guarantee
11
12 Thanks! Glad you liked them. And yes, TLS is on my list.
15 > While being able to build exact environments with catalyst I wonder
16 > how it could help fixing the issue of my original post.
17
18 Thank you for connecting back to the original post! Let's see:
21 > Whenever we need to deliver a updated app to customers whose OS is
22 > too old (but updating it is too risky), we could either
23 > a) keep evenly outdated dev build OSes around forever (oh no!), or
24 > b) post our newly built app in a container (leaving the lovely native
25 > world); and both ignore the fact that customers wish maintenance of
26 > the entire OS actually, too.
27 > So, ideally, there is c): In a hypothetic case we would prepare a
28 > entire OS incl. our app (maybe via catalyst?) which would require
29 > a bootloader-like mini-OS on the customer's side, to receive updates
30 > over the internet, switch the OS at boot time, and fallback.
31
32 I had a) in mind. Why "oh no!" ? I didn't mean forever.
33
34 I think it's already a very good value proposition that you can deliver
35 updates of your apps for the particular systems that your customers run.
36
37 catalyst building specific, "old-like" OSes on which you build new (binpkg)
38 versions of your app to be installable by emerge on old customer OSes is
39 admittedly a lot of work, at least initially.
40
41 Separate from those app updates you can then use catalyst to also tackle
42 OS maintenance/updates. You can create either full milestone OSes or just
43 individual (binpkg) packages through which customers' OSes can become
44 less fragmented over time, at the pace each customer is comfortable with.
45 OS updates can take only small steps at a time, since catalyst allows
46 exact control.
47
48 This could reduce target OS diversity drastically over time with probably
49 relatively moderate development effort. More effort might go into holding
50 customer hands along the bespoke update paths.
51
52 So, I see controlled paths forward in both problem dimensions. I don't
53 know if the effort is actually practical for you but it /is/ doable and
54 most importantly it can be customized for the individual systems
55 currently in production at your customers.
58 //Peter