From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init systems portage category
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:06:48
1 2009/10/12 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
2
3 > But there's one... That what the "system" set is about in first place. We
4 > could argue if creating a new category would be any good or not, that's a
5 > different issue. But there's already a list of packages that's considered
6 > critical for a Gentoo system. That's what "system" is, and you will get a
7 > big red waning when trying to uninstall one package belonging to this
8 > category.
11 Seeing as we understand @system to be "critical for a functional Gentoo
12 system", the phrase "critical packages" may have been poorly chosen for
13 communicating the concept of "things that, should I be cavalier in playing
14 with them, may leave me with a system that is incapable of playing again
15 without intervention from one of those lovely LiveCD things".
16
17 Nevertheless, there is a class of "packages that I need to watch out for,
18 because they'll make my life miserable in ways X can only dream about and
19 THEN stab me in the kidneys with a rusty javelin if I'm not careful" under
20 discussion that could probably use some action. It's unfortunate that
21 there's no good way of encoding arbitrary semantic metadata about a small
22 set of packages such that it can be leveraged by various sources to achieve
23 this end...
24
25 Regards,
26 Wyatt