From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init systems portage category
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:52:19
1 On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:45:27 -0400, Robert Bradbury
2 <robert.bradbury@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Victor Ostorga
4 > <vostorga@g.o>wrote:
7 >> I don't know the history about init systems category, but obviously is
8 >> necessary to stablish a category into which init systems should live
9 >> happy forever (sys-init ? app-init? foobar?).
12 > I don't know what you want to call it, "sys-init" perhaps. But it, and
13 a
14 > number of other packages, e.g. sys-apps/util-linux (which includes mount
15 > and
16 > fsck), openrc, bash, udev, etc. belong in a "special" category for
17 > "packages
18 > which could prevent the system from booting or corrupt file systems" if
19 the
20 > emerges do not work perfectly. I get hung up once or twice a year by
21 > semi-auto-emerging a package not realizing that it is a potential
22 > show-stopper that should be closely monitored (or which should require
23 an
24 > immediate system reboot to see if it broke anything). In contrast, you
25 > could break any of the various X libraries, browsers, etc. and still
26 have a
27 > system from which one could fall back/forward.
28 >
29 > Right now one only knows if an emerge is "N"ew or an "U"pgrade with
30 little
31 > indication as to how badly it could go wrong.
32 >
33 > As far as I know there is no "critical packages" list (or class) which
34 > include those that are likely to create much bigger headaches than
35 common
36 > emerge failures (for example this would include all executables used by
37 the
38 > init/openrc processes) which under ideal circumstances would be part of
39 a
40 > single package that could be compiled with a "static" option.
41
42 But there's one... That what the "system" set is about in first place. We
43 could argue if creating a new category would be any good or not, that's a
44 different issue. But there's already a list of packages that's considered
45 critical for a Gentoo system. That's what "system" is, and you will get a
46 big red waning when trying to uninstall one package belonging to this
47 category.
50 Jesús Guerrero