From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:48:47
1 Am 23. Dec 2014, 16:51 schrieb William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>:
2
3 >> just the simple fact that crossdev without the ability to select
4 >> specific versions of glibc is only half as useful. And please, do not
5 >> underestimate the usefulness of our crossdev script in this regard!
6 >
7 > I'm not saying anything about breaking the crossdev script by making it
8 > unable to select specific versions of glibc.
9
10 Then, we have to provide the ebuilds for those versions somehow.
13 > Ok, this is something to consider then. 2.16 is not all that old, so
14 > keeping it around for a while longer isn't a big deal.
15
16 Same goes for any other arbitrary version in the course of the last 4
17 years :-)
20 >> - We could migrate older versions in a dedicated overlay with some
21 >> sort of versioned toolchain.eclass/eblits. (same for the other
22 >> canonical packages).
23 >
24 > It looks like there already is a toolchain overlay that might have this,
25 > check git.overlays.gentoo.org.
26
27 I had a closer look at it and it turns out it is Mike's development
28 and 'ebuild retirement' overlay.
29
30 He already maintains some older versions in this overlay.
31
32 So, in conclusion, why not just asking him to just move older glibc
33 versions back to the toolchain overlay as soon as they become
34 unmaintained (i.e. without security backports)?
35
36 Best,
37 Matthias