From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:51:13
1 On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 09:10:32AM +0100, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 > I'm a bit surprised about this discussion as Mike, who currently
3 > maintains the toolchain, has never implied that suddenly older versions
4 > of glibc are unusable. Or that we need a big cleanup.
5 >
6 > He simply stated two facts (that have been true for a long time)
7 >
8 > - for a current kernel a current toolchain is necessary and vice versa.
9 >
10 > - we support older versions of glibc (gcc/etc.) mainly for crossdev
11 > (and some other special purposes) on a best effort basis without any
12 > usability or security guarantees.
13 >
14 > The latter implies that you should not actively use them in your regular
15 > Gentoo setup, not that they must be removed from the tree.
16
17 I cc'd Mike on my original message in this thread specifically because I
18 hoped he would see it and tell me if I was wrong to start discussing a
19 cleanup, because I read part of his message as implying that a cleanup might be
20 coming.
21
22 Specifically, he also said that if you were stuck on old stuff you
23 should start unsticking your stuff.
24
25 > just the simple fact that crossdev without the ability to select
26 > specific versions of glibc is only half as useful. And please, do not
27 > underestimate the usefulness of our crossdev script in this regard!
28
29 I'm not saying anything about breaking the crossdev script by making it
30 unable to select specific versions of glibc.
31
32 > Because you're arguing that no example was presented:
33 > E.g. I've an embedded armv7a-hardfloat board which ships with glibc
34 > 2.16 (This is a concrete example and not a vague "some users might need
35 > it".). I want to have a cross compile environment for it to compile some
36 > specific software (not a complete userland). I do not want to replace
37 > the userland/ship a custom sysroot/use an LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack, so I'm
38 > basically forced to compile with a glibc of at most 2.16 (otherwise you
39 > get symbol lookup errors.)
40
41 Ok, this is something to consider then. 2.16 is not all that old, so
42 keeping it around for a while longer isn't a big deal.
43
44 > To ease the maintenance burden there are multiple possibilities to
45 > tackle it without removing old glibc versions altogether:
46 >
47 > - We could debundle newer glibc versions from toolchain.eclass/eblits
48
49 I don't see toolchain.eclass being inherited in the glibc ebuilds; it is
50 just eblits. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with seeing them die in
51 all versions of the ebuilds if we can make that happen.
52
53 > - We could migrate older versions in a dedicated overlay with some
54 > sort of versioned toolchain.eclass/eblits. (same for the other
55 > canonical packages).
56
57 It looks like there already is a toolchain overlay that might have this,
58 check git.overlays.gentoo.org.
61 > Further, if the fact that specific versions are unmaintained (and do not
62 > get any security backports) it is also possible to just drop keywords.
63
64 (qa hat on for this statement only) as a qa member, my opinion on this
65 is, if something has a serious security issue which the maintainer
66 knows is not going to be fixed, it doesn't belong in the main tree.