From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 08:10:48
1 I'm a bit surprised about this discussion as Mike, who currently
2 maintains the toolchain, has never implied that suddenly older versions
3 of glibc are unusable. Or that we need a big cleanup.
4
5 He simply stated two facts (that have been true for a long time)
6
7 - for a current kernel a current toolchain is necessary and vice versa.
8
9 - we support older versions of glibc (gcc/etc.) mainly for crossdev
10 (and some other special purposes) on a best effort basis without any
11 usability or security guarantees.
12
13 The latter implies that you should not actively use them in your regular
14 Gentoo setup, not that they must be removed from the tree.
15
16 > [...]
17 >
18 > Crossdev was mentioned in discussions on irc, but again it wasn't clear
19 > to me why specific versions of glibc are needed. I don't know of any
20 > hard dependencies in the portage tree like that.
21
22 Again,
23
24 just the simple fact that crossdev without the ability to select
25 specific versions of glibc is only half as useful. And please, do not
26 underestimate the usefulness of our crossdev script in this regard!
27
28 Because you're arguing that no example was presented:
29 E.g. I've an embedded armv7a-hardfloat board which ships with glibc
30 2.16 (This is a concrete example and not a vague "some users might need
31 it".). I want to have a cross compile environment for it to compile some
32 specific software (not a complete userland). I do not want to replace
33 the userland/ship a custom sysroot/use an LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack, so I'm
34 basically forced to compile with a glibc of at most 2.16 (otherwise you
35 get symbol lookup errors.)
38 To ease the maintenance burden there are multiple possibilities to
39 tackle it without removing old glibc versions altogether:
40
41 - We could debundle newer glibc versions from toolchain.eclass/eblits
42
43 - We could migrate older versions in a dedicated overlay with some
44 sort of versioned toolchain.eclass/eblits. (same for the other
45 canonical packages).
46
47 Further, if the fact that specific versions are unmaintained (and do not
48 get any security backports) it is also possible to just drop keywords.
51 Best,
52 Matthias