From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:02:09
1 Since you wanted to bring this onto this mailing list, I will address
2 all of the points you are making here, though I don't believe this to be
3 the correct place.
4
5 To preface the whole thing, I was really trying to understand your
6 viewpoint and help make things better, but you were either not
7 understanding what I was saying because of some language issue or
8 something else. Instead of trying to understand me, you took it as some
9 sort of personal attack for some reason. I don't understand why you
10 did, or why you believe I was being "annoying" or "boring" (those were
11 your words last night).
12
13 So, now onto addressing what you have said.
14
15 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@××××××××××××.org> said:
16 > [02:31] <Halcy0n> lxnay: we offer all of our work that you base your
17 > distribution off, and you don't contribute back at all, in any way.
18 >
19 > ^^ This is a really stupid sentence. It seems some of you don't even
20 > realize how many users we brought to Gentoo, and this is really sad.
21
22 I wish you would realize that the work all of the Gentoo developers (and
23 users and outside contributors) has done for your distribution. It is
24 entirely based upon our work, and we would really appreciate it if when
25 you find a problem, you report it to us. We want to provide quality
26 packages, but if no one tells us of when there is a problem, we can't do
27 anything. Also, the one statement of mine that you decided to pull out
28 should be put into a little bit of context:
29
30 <quote from #gentoo-dev from last night>
31 21:26:46 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: I entered #gentoo-portage, found zmedico,
32 talked about the issue, he wrote a patch in less than 1 hour and committed
33 21:27:06 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: I got the issue solved in less than 3 hours
34 21:27:17 <+lxnay> if I had to use bugzilla
35 21:27:26 <+lxnay> it'd have took me days, if not dozen of days
36 21:27:31 <@hparker> He woulda seen the bug and fixed it...
37 21:27:41 <@Betelgeuse> yeah
38 21:27:42 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: I'm not understanding what you are trying to
39 show me. Sometimes you can get in touch with someone on IRC, othertimes you
40 need to use bugzilla.
41 21:27:55 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: and it would have taken Zac just about the
42 same amount of time. He's quick to respond to things like that anyway.
43 21:28:19 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: What if zac didn't reply to you iin
44 #g-portage? What would you have done then?
45 21:28:40 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: I just wanted to tell you, I don't have time
46 to wait (dozen of days) and I always end up forking. and you will never see my
47 fixes, that's a pity for gentoo
48 21:29:03 <@jkt|> lxnay: but that's entirely your choice, not our flaw
49 21:29:10 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: he always replied me in a matter of hours
50 21:29:23 <+lxnay> jkt|: it is if your dev take that much to fix a silly
51 bug
52 21:29:24 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: so, if you couldn't find Zac on IRC? What
53 would you have done then? Just gone and fixed it on your side?
54 21:30:01 <@jkt|> lxnay: are you to blame us if we don't fix bugs in less
55 than one week? now this is funny
56 21:30:07 <+lxnay> sometimes my bugs got closed just because the
57 maintainer didn't find them valid
58 21:30:09 <@Halcy0n> jkt|: shhh, I'm trying to find out something.
59 21:30:20 <+lxnay> if someone comes to you and say, I have a problem with
60 X
61 21:30:31 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: please...if you can't find a dev on IRC, what
62 do you do?
63 21:30:36 <+lxnay> you should answer, I'll get this fixed asap, as I
64 always do :)
65 21:30:47 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: I fork the ebuild
66 21:30:53 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: that's very sad.
67 21:30:59 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: it's not my fault
68 21:31:04 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: yes it is completely your fault.
69 21:31:08 <@jkt|> lxnay: well, it is.
70 21:31:12 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: no it isn't
71 21:31:15 <+lxnay> why?
72 21:31:21 <+lxnay> you make mistakes
73 21:31:21 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: we offer all of our work that you base your
74 distribution off, and you don't contribute back at all, in any way.
75 21:31:23 <+lxnay> then it's my fault?
76 21:31:35 <+lxnay> Halcy0n: yeah of course...
77 21:31:43 <@jkt|> nope, your fault is not reporting them to us in a
78 reasonable way
79 21:31:46 <@Halcy0n> lxnay: the fact that you don't contribute it back
80 upstream is, and if that's the attitude you are going to take, then I am done
81 with this conversation as I don't see it going in a positive direction.
82
83 </quote>
84
85 Just so everyone can see the what led up to my comment, and hopefully
86 understand exactly where it is coming from. Maybe it could have been
87 phrased differently, but I find it very sad when someone is completely
88 unwilling to use our bug tracking system to even try to get a problem
89 fixed. Not all Gentoo devs are on IRC, and we all have other jobs and
90 families that we must take care of. We can't fix bugs within hours all
91 of the time. If you start paying us, then maybe that would change :)
94 > You see, people like Halcy0n, agaffney, zlin keep us away from
95 > interacting with you.
96
97 Who is "us"? If you have instances where I have made it difficult for any
98 user to approach me and have me help them with a problem, I would love
99 to know. The same goes for everyone else, please contact me privately
100 if you have a problem with me and feel you can't atleast work with me to
101 solve an issue. I'm not asking if you like me or not, but if you feel
102 you can have atleast a civil relationship to get Gentoo work done.
103
104 > This is not a democratic way, let's talk
105 > publicly here, without hiding in a development channel, we probably
106 > get more visibility, don't we?
107
108 This is probably not the correct venue to have a conversation about this
109 as it has nothing to do with development. If I have offended you in
110 some way, you can contact User Relations or Developer Relations and let
111 them know (same goes for anyone else as well, to complain about, or be
112 the complainant).
113
114 Thanks,
117 Mark Loeser