From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gentoo-x86 migration to repo-per-package
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:41:53
1 On 06-08-2011 22:42:33 +0200, Krzysztof Pawlik wrote:
2 > To be honest I don't like that idea. I don't see any benefits from doing so:
3 > - tree generation is dynamic - actually I think this is a disadvantage, it has
4 > a nice potential to eat a lot of resources on master rsync server, also having
5 > different "flavours" of the tree only brings in added complexity
6
7 To be honest, I don't see any problem there. The rsync master server is
8 a modern machine. Generating multiple trees, hardly takes more since
9 all repos in use are shared, of course.
10 With the prefix rsync tree generation [1] in mind, I think the extra
11 cost timewise aren't too bad either.
12
13 > So:
14 > - having it all in single repository means that I need to care only about one
15 > thing, not around 14956 of them
16
17 subtrees would help you here
18
19 > - git was designed to be efficient with large repositories, use this ability
20
21 I'm not claiming git is inefficient. I think our current model is not
22 very flexible. An alternatives like the one I proposed solves certain
23 problems that currently exist within Gentoo.
26 [1] http://stats.prefix.freens.org/timing-rsync0.png
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level