From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devleopment sources are no longer 'development' - example
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:03:17
1 On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:40:20 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 | > gentoo-sources24
3 | > gentoo-sources26
4 |
5 | I don't have a problem with this, but the dependancy stuff might not
6 | work out properly for some odd kernel-based userspace packages.
7 |
8 | Anyone object to this?
9
10 Well, it's pretty nasty... Part of the idea of SLOTs is that we never
11 need to include version numbers in packages... In fact our docs [1] even
12 say:
13
14 > Most distributions and ports systems tend to have a "freetype" package
15 > for freetype 1.x and "freetype2" for 2.x. We consider this approach a
16 > sign of a fundamentally broken package management system.
17
18 Do we really want to admit that our package manager is broken?
19
20 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm