From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devleopment sources are no longer 'development' - example
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:20:09
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:00:13PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:40:20 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 > | > gentoo-sources24
4 > | > gentoo-sources26
5 > |
6 > | I don't have a problem with this, but the dependancy stuff might not
7 > | work out properly for some odd kernel-based userspace packages.
8 > |
9 > | Anyone object to this?
10 >
11 > Well, it's pretty nasty... Part of the idea of SLOTs is that we never
12 > need to include version numbers in packages... In fact our docs [1] even
13 > say:
14 >
15 > > Most distributions and ports systems tend to have a "freetype" package
16 > > for freetype 1.x and "freetype2" for 2.x. We consider this approach a
17 > > sign of a fundamentally broken package management system.
18 >
19 > Do we really want to admit that our package manager is broken?
20
21 But then what is preventing us from having both a 2.4 and 2.6 version of
22 gentoo-sources? Is it the following statement in that same file:
23
24 Currently, slots cannot be used to install multiple instances of
25 the same version of a package. When it will be possible, one
26 could even install the same version of gcc multiple times (for
27 instance to build cross-compilers for different architectures).
28
29 Or is it something else that I'm just not aware of?
30
31 thanks,
32
33 greg k-h