From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] opinion on how to improve the website redesign
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:28:22
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:53:22AM +0100, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > A good start could be to do that the quick and ugly way, thanks to
3 > Google (with some "site:www.gentoo.org/some/thing/" and other black
4 > magic in the query terms).
5 [...]
6
7 Two major obstacles are
8 - Google bases its search functionality on cached pages.
9 I would assume that most people use the search functionality to find
10 documentation which gets updated quite a lot. Google might offer outdated
11 links or forget to point to a valuable resource
12 - We would depend on Google a bit
13
14 Now Google might be a reliable web site/service, I'd rather have the search
15 functionality of our web site implemented on the Gentoo infrastructure. I
16 would even hope that we can have some tweaking possibilities in our search
17 functionality, such as:
18 - Restricting pages to /doc (documentation), /main (Gentoo information),
19 /news (News items+GWN), /proj (project stuff)
20 - Restricting languages (en, fr, ... and any combination)
21 - Have the search points assigned so that hits are calculated with certain
22 weights:
23 * title's get most of the points, unless many titles are selected
24 * abstract's get the second most points, yada yada
25 * content get third most points
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen