From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] opinion on how to improve the website redesign
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:00:16
1 On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:51:44 +0100
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 >> A good start could be to do that the quick and ugly way, thanks
4 >> to Google (with some "site:www.gentoo.org/some/thing/" and other
5 >> black magic in the query terms).
6 > [...]
7
8 > - Google bases its search functionality on cached pages.
9
10 Bah, yes, theory is that it's not 100% perfect, but in practice i
11 find it satisfying.
12
13 > - We would depend on Google a bit
14
15 Yes, but if other engines offer similar functionalities, in which
16 case it would just be a matter of changing the forms params names
17 and posting it elsewhere. But i don't know much about other public
18 search engines, so i have no idea about what kind of queries they
19 allow.
20
21 > Now Google might be a reliable web site/service, I'd rather have
22 > the search functionality of our web site implemented on the
23 > Gentoo infrastructure.
24
25 Sure, if that's doable in terms of workload and time to implement,
26 then it could be the best method.
27
28 My only concern would be on the choice of that engine: i mean,
29 i would still prefer Google over an internal engine which doesn't
30 allow mixing of exact strings and keywords in queries, or which
31 drops non-alpha chars, etc. I'm suffering enough with the forum's
32 one already :)
33
34 > - Restricting pages to /doc (documentation), /main (Gentoo
35 > information), /news (News items+GWN), /proj (project stuff)
36
37 Not a problem with google, that's the "/some/thing/" part of
38 the above cited fake query. I've put some real examples in the
39 proof-of-concept form i've posted about in an earlier message
40 somewhere else in that thread:
41 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoosearch/
42
43 > - Restricting languages (en, fr, ... and any combination)
44
45 Same as above for searching in a single language, adding some
46 "/fr/" to the base URL (or also possible using the lr=lang_fr
47 parameter, although it's less reliable). But for arbitrary
48 combinations, yes, that's probably a limitation (or a really ugly
49 query...).
50
51 What i've thought for i18n of the above JS code was to:
52 - always at least propose search on the english pages
53 - if user has defined in his browser a non-english preferred
54 language, also add some localised choices to the dropdown list.
55 (I'm not sure how to detect the user preferred lang from Javascript
56 though).
57
58 > - Have the search points assigned so that hits are calculated
59 > with certain weights:
60 > * title's get most of the points, unless many titles are
61 > selected
62 > * abstract's get the second most points, yada yada
63 > * content get third most points
64
65 Here again, i think google is good enough for the needs, especially
66 if you target the search on some "/doc/en/" or alike sub-parts of
67 the website, which don't let that many pages anyway. I mean, i
68 often do that kind of searchs on the docs or the dev handbook with
69 a conquery plugin, and i don't remember having ever seen the page i
70 was looking for not beeing in the top 5 results. But yes, at least
71 in theory, a tweaked local engine could be even better.
74 Hmm... re-reading the above message, i realize i may sound like
75 some kind of google-zealot: so just to make it clear, i'm not, and i
76 would be pleased to see anything better implemented. It's really
77 just that i think it could do a rather good job and that using it is
78 easy enough to be a really short-term solution.
81 TGL.
82 --
83 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list