From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 10:42:55
1 Monday 17 Oct 2016 09:23:09, Michał Górny wrote :
2 > Hello, everyone.
3 >
4 > I'd like to point out a major problem in Gentoo: there's a fair number
5 > of developers who add various local workarounds to problems they meet
6 > and don't bother to report a bug. Worst than that, this applies not
7 > only for upstream problems but also to Gentoo eclass/ebuild-related
8 > issues.
9 >
10 > --8<--snip--8<--snip--8<--snip--8<--snip--8<--
11 >
12 > Therefore, I'd like to request establishing an official policy against
13 > workarounds with no associated bug reports.
14 >
15 > Your thoughts?
16 >
17 > --
18 > Best regards,
19 > Michał Górny
20 > <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>
21
22 Michal
23
24 You're being emotional in my opinion and as a result, are painting *all* Gentoo
25 developers with a broad brush. Relax. We don't need yet another policy to "fix"
26 two problems you've encountered, this sounds silly. To be honest, I don't
27 understand your 2nd example: a change was made in an eclass and as all eclass
28 changes, these need to be discussed either here on the mailing list or via IRC.
29 You seem to be maintainer of git-r3; who made the commit? did you sign off
30 on it? if not, why was it merged? etc. Give us a bit more context please. Your
31 message looks more like a rant rather than a rational proposal.
32
33 Cheers,
36 Patrice Clement
37 Gentoo Linux developer