From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 01:36:18
1 On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > for bug 373219 [1], we are working on providing a functions.sh that does
5 > not rely on OpenRc so that people who are not using OpenRc can
6 > completely remove it from their systems.
7 >
8 > I can now report that gentoo-functions has been added to the tree. Also,
9 > I have opened a tracker [2] that explains how to change packages that
10 > source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. They should first check for the
11 > existence of /lib/gentoo/functions.sh and source that. If it doesn't
12 > exist, they should source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. Also, do not add
13 > hard dependencies to your packages on gentoo-functions. The goal is to
14 > add gentoo-functions to @system once it is stable.
15
16 After reading some posts further in this thread, and discussing on IRC
17 with William, I decided to do the following with
18 app-admin/python-updater-0.12:
19
20 1. Changed . /etc/init.d/functions.sh to . /lib/gentoo/functions.sh.
21 This way I don't need to worry about testing against two different
22 implementations.
23
24 2. Added a hard dependency on sys-apps/gentoo-functions. Being
25 explicit about dependencies is better than leaving it up to the
26 implicit @systemd dependency.
27
28 If someone has a really good argument for why I should instead
29 implement this as William originally described above, I am open to
30 changing my approach.