From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:04:35
1 On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:36:02PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > for bug 373219 [1], we are working on providing a functions.sh that does
6 > > not rely on OpenRc so that people who are not using OpenRc can
7 > > completely remove it from their systems.
8 > >
9 > > I can now report that gentoo-functions has been added to the tree. Also,
10 > > I have opened a tracker [2] that explains how to change packages that
11 > > source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. They should first check for the
12 > > existence of /lib/gentoo/functions.sh and source that. If it doesn't
13 > > exist, they should source /etc/init.d/functions.sh. Also, do not add
14 > > hard dependencies to your packages on gentoo-functions. The goal is to
15 > > add gentoo-functions to @system once it is stable.
16 >
17 > After reading some posts further in this thread, and discussing on IRC
18 > with William, I decided to do the following with
19 > app-admin/python-updater-0.12:
20 >
21 > 1. Changed . /etc/init.d/functions.sh to . /lib/gentoo/functions.sh.
22 > This way I don't need to worry about testing against two different
23 > implementations.
24 >
25 > 2. Added a hard dependency on sys-apps/gentoo-functions. Being
26 > explicit about dependencies is better than leaving it up to the
27 > implicit @systemd dependency.
28 >
29 > If someone has a really good argument for why I should instead
30 > implement this as William originally described above, I am open to
31 > changing my approach.
32
33 After this discussion with Mike, and the comments in this thread, it is
34 probably better to do this -- refer to /lib/gentoo/functions.sh instead
35 and make your package have a hard dependency on gentoo-functions.
36
37 Keep in mind that this applies only to packages that need to run with
38 OpenRC not being on the system.
39
40 William