From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 23:44:27
1 On 06/29/2015 05:27 PM, wireless@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 06/29/2015 05:50 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 06/29/2015 02:27 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >>> All,
5 >>>
6 >>> we have several Go ebuilds in the tree that bundle multiple separate
7 >>> upstream sources. One example is app-admin/consul-0.5.2.
8 >>>
9 >>> My thought is that we shouldn't bundle like this, but we should figure
10 >>> out how to write ebuilds for the dependent packages as well.
11 >>>
12 >>> What do others think?
13 >>
14 >> Maybe we should take into account the number of consumers of said
15 >> libraries? If there's only one consumer of a given library, then what's
16 >> the advantage of splitting out a separate ebuild? Also, in our
17 >> discussion, it may be useful to distinguish between bundling via "one
18 >> big tarball" versus bundling via multiple tarballs in SRC_URI.
19 >
20 > You have much to consider. Consul, like zookeeper (ultrabug overlay) is
21 > very useful for building clusters on (gentoo) linux. It would be very
22 > cool to split consul into a separate build. That way one can experiment
23 > with combining a wide variety of sys-cluster builds with other packages.
24
25 While it would certainly be possible to split out a number of separate
26 ebuilds for Go libraries that are used *exclusively* by consul, what
27 advantages would it have? You mention "a wide variety of sys-cluster
28 builds," but I'm not sure what packages you're talking about. For
29 example, are you aware of any other packages that use hashicorp's raft
30 library [1]?
31
32 > Regardless of which way you go, it would be great to have some detail
33 > documents about the various (software) components if you stay with one
34 > large build.
35
36 You can see all of the components (including github.com/hashicorp/raft)
37 in the SRC_URI variable of the ebuild [2].
38
39 [1] https://github.com/hashicorp/raft
40 [2]
41 https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-admin/consul/consul-0.5.2.ebuild?view=markup