From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 00:15:14
1 Hello,
2
3 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>>>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 >>>> Do we routinely confirm that any site we list in SRC_URI has
7 >>>> permission to redistribute files? That seems like a slippery
8 >>>> slope.
9 >>>
10 >>> We don't, and for a package that comes with a license (as the vast
11 >>> majority of packages does) it normally isn't necessary.
12 >
13 >> Why isn't this necessary? How do you know the person issuing the
14 >> license actually has the right to issue it?
15 >
16 > Don't you think there is a difference between downloading a package
17 > that has a known upstream and that is also carried by other distros,
18 > and downloading a license-less package from a random location on the
19 > internet?
20 >
21 >>> The package in question doesn't come with any license though, which
22 >>> means that only the copyright holder has the right to distribute
23 >>> it. So I believe that some extra care is justified, especially when
24 >>> the upstream location of the distfile has changed.
25 >
26 >> Why? We don't redistribute anything that is copyrighted.
27 >
28 > Users download the file, and I think that we are responsible to have
29 > only such SRC_URIs in our ebuilds from where they can obtain the
30 > package without being exposed to potential legal issues.
33 Downloading does not imply committing a felony. As far as anyone can
34 tell it is impossible to prosecute someone for downloading something
35 they already own (regardless of what any EULA has claimed). Further,
36 copyrights lapse if not enforced. Depending on how long that download
37 has been up the original rightsholder has forfeited their claim to
38 their work.
39
40 It's also really hard to convince a judge or jury that I am to blame
41 if someone follows my instructions (save for specific cases where I
42 could be considered a subject matter expert). E.g. it's possible to
43 sell radio kits that are illegal to put together and operate.
44
45 >> Are you arguing that merely linking to the file is illegal? If so,
46 >> then you better get the list archives purged.
47 >
48 > Arguably, items in SRC_URI aren't even hyperlinks. And no, I don't
49 > think that such linking is illegal. IANAL, though.
52 It is at this point I would suggest that you have defeated your own argument.
53
54 >>> We don't know this for sure unless we ask the author. So whoever is
55 >>> interested in keeping the package in the tree should sort these
56 >>> issues out.
57 >
58 >> Perhaps if we want to enforce a policy like this we should take the
59 >> time to actually write the policy down. As far as I can tell Gentoo
60 >> has no such policy currently.
61 >
62 > The old Games Ebuild Howto [1] has this:
63 >
64 > | LICENSE
65 > |
66 > | The license is an important point in your ebuild. It is also a
67 > | common place for making mistakes. Try to check the license on any
68 > | ebuild that you submit. Often times, the license will be in a
69 > | COPYING file, distributed in the package's tarball. If the license
70 > | is not readily apparent, try contacting the authors of the package
71 > | for clarification. [...]
72 >
73 > I propose to add the paragraph above to the devmanual's licenses
74 > section.
77 Should the Gentoo foundation include a disclaimer that the software
78 distributed by it is not to be used to build ballistic missiles or run
79 nuclear arms programs? Users might do those things, and Gentoo might
80 be liable for the consequences if they do.