From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 08:51:20
1 >>>>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, R0b0t1 wrote:
2
3 > Downloading does not imply committing a felony. As far as anyone can
4 > tell it is impossible to prosecute someone for downloading something
5 > they already own (regardless of what any EULA has claimed).
6
7 Sure, if the user already has rightfully obtained the software then
8 nothing can stop him from downloading it again.
9
10 > Further, copyrights lapse if not enforced. Depending on how long
11 > that download has been up the original rightsholder has forfeited
12 > their claim to their work.
13
14 Copyright expires no sooner than 50 years after the author's death:
15 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention
16 In most countries that term is even longer, e.g. 70 years in the
17 European Union.
18
19 Also contrary to popular belief, there is no such concept as
20 "abandonware". In some legislations, there are some provisions to
21 allow archiving of orphan works, but only for public institutions
22 (e.g. in the EU, museums and digital archives).
23
24 > Sir, please see my above comment about building ballistic missiles.
25 > It may be important for the Gentoo Foundation to add a disclaimer
26 > similar to the one I mentioned. I would hate for the Foundation or
27 > any of its administrators or contributors to be found guilty of
28 > aiding and abetting terrorists.
29
30 Yeah. Stop trolling, please.
31