From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:12:00
1 On Friday, September 8, 2017, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >
4 >> Downloading does not imply committing a felony. As far as anyone can
5 >> tell it is impossible to prosecute someone for downloading something
6 >> they already own (regardless of what any EULA has claimed).
7 >
8 > Sure, if the user already has rightfully obtained the software then
9 > nothing can stop him from downloading it again.
10 >
11 >> Further, copyrights lapse if not enforced. Depending on how long
12 >> that download has been up the original rightsholder has forfeited
13 >> their claim to their work.
14 >
15 > Copyright expires no sooner than 50 years after the author's death:
16 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention
17 > In most countries that term is even longer, e.g. 70 years in the
18 > European Union.
19 >
20 > Also contrary to popular belief, there is no such concept as
21 > "abandonware". In some legislations, there are some provisions to
22 > allow archiving of orphan works, but only for public institutions
23 > (e.g. in the EU, museums and digital archives).
26 Then I'm quite confused as to why people seem to be extremely attentive to
27 copyright infringement (besides an immediate payout). In the US they cite
28 the reasoning I gave, from memory.
29
30 Maybe that was for trademarks?
31
32 >> Sir, please see my above comment about building ballistic missiles.
33 >> It may be important for the Gentoo Foundation to add a disclaimer
34 >> similar to the one I mentioned. I would hate for the Foundation or
35 >> any of its administrators or contributors to be found guilty of
36 >> aiding and abetting terrorists.
37 >
38 > Yeah. Stop trolling, please.
41 I am being completely serious. You can find such a clause in the iTunes
42 license.
43
44 If it seems ridiculous please reconsider the subject in question.
45
46 R0b0t1.