From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: games-rpg/nwn-shadowlordsdreamcatcherdemon
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:57:18
1 On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 10:11:51 -0500
2 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Then I'm quite confused as to why people seem to be extremely attentive to
5 > copyright infringement (besides an immediate payout). In the US they cite
6 > the reasoning I gave, from memory.
7 >
8 > Maybe that was for trademarks?
9
10 This is one of those problems where the nebulous term "IP" has infected
11 our thinking.
12
13 Yes, US is very *copyright* infringement zealous.
14
15 But Trademark and Copyright are very different beasts.
16
17 Trademarks (read: brands, company names, company symbols, etc) do
18 expire much shorter, but that's due to other reasons. Namely, that if
19 your company ceases to be doing business for 10 years, nobody is harmed
20 by people using a name of a company that doesn't exist, because
21 "Trademark protection" is largely a device to prevent competitors
22 claiming they're you, and to prevent competitors selling products
23 claiming you made them.
24
25 Copyright (read: the right to publish, distribute, and sell) has a much
26 longer life as the results of that can be inheritable, eg: profits from
27 sale copyrighted works can go towards the estate of the author of those
28 works after the death of that author.
29
30 There are documented *exceptions* to this, but they don't apply to us
31 as they apply to public institutions such as archives and libraries.
32
33 And there are exceptions in cases of "fair use", which Gentoo does not
34 fall under.
35
36 So, even though it is true that copyright expires, copy right expiry
37 dates are currently such that most juristictions don't have any
38 software that could conceivably exist that expires.
39
40 If the expiry period is 50 years, and there's no software in
41 circulation older than 30, its kindof a moot point to argue software
42 that is less than 10 years old might have expired.
43
44 > >> Sir, please see my above comment about building ballistic missiles.
45 > >> It may be important for the Gentoo Foundation to add a disclaimer
46 > >> similar to the one I mentioned. I would hate for the Foundation or
47 > >> any of its administrators or contributors to be found guilty of
48 > >> aiding and abetting terrorists.
49 > >
50 > > Yeah. Stop trolling, please.
53 > I am being completely serious. You can find such a clause in the iTunes
54 > license.
55 >
56 > If it seems ridiculous please reconsider the subject in question.
57
58 I'm not sure how enforceable that clause is as a License.
59
60 As a Warranty, sure.
61
62 "if you use it for this, don't blame us if bad things happen, we told
63 you not to"
64
65 Also, those are typically things that fall under "National Laws" and it
66 doesn't really make sense to have to explicitly articulate in a
67 software license that its intended use is to be done within the scope
68 of your local governing laws.
69
70 You're bound to follow local law regardless of whether you accept or
71 reject a given license. So, its kinda moot.
72
73 If your government goes and uses your software for military
74 applications despite your license saying "don't", I'm not really sure
75 you'll have much in the way of recourse.
76
77 If it was that simple I'd just start putting license terms that
78 prohibits people from using software I wrote as part of a state
79 approved mass surveillance platform....