From: Ilian Zarov <coder@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] help with readline confusion
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 20:42:04
1 On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 11:52, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > My question has two parts. 1.I had expected that the "latest version
3 > available" would show 4.2a, but it doesn't. I must be missing something
4 > about how emerge determines which ebuild is the latest available. Is
5 > 4.2a not to be used just right now?
6 emerge checks if the packages is blocked (whether it is included in
7 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask). Blocked packages are usually
8 broken/incomplete ebuilds or early alpha/beta versions of the specified
9 application.
10
11 > 2. octave want's 4.2. I can satisfy it with an "ebuild
12 > readline-4.2a.ebuild merge", but then I don't think i should, because if
13 > users aren't getting 4.2 from an emerge, then I doubt I can expect them
14 > to ebuild it manually when they emerge the octave package. Does this
15 > logic sound right?
16
17 You should talk to an @gentoo.org developer about removing readline-4.2a
18 from package.mask if you consider it stable enough (isn't this actually
19 an alpha version ?). Not very sure of how the package.mask stuff is
20 handled.
21 > Many thanks,
22 >
23 > Matt