From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:23:36
1 "Paul de Vrieze" <pauldv@g.o> writes:
2
3 > I would like to add that actually not all of the data in /usr/portage is
4 > dispensible. If the profile directory is removed, emerge will not work (we
5 > might be able to fix this).
6
7 But it works well enough to run emerge sync, which restores the profile
8 directory.
9
10 > Further in the /var/cache/edb dir there are files that are not caches
11 > in that sense of the word. They are also not replaceable. So I think
12 > if we want to have this discussion we need to look at all files that
13 > are involved in portage.
14
15 Yes, the state data in /var/cache/edb should be in /var/lib, and the
16 world file should be in /etc (or /var/lib).
19 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list