From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 01:16:33
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:26:40AM -0500, in <87ad4kt0wf.fsf@××××××××.cx>,
2 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o> wrote:
3 > "Paul de Vrieze" <pauldv@g.o> writes:
4 > > Further in the /var/cache/edb dir there are files that are not caches
5 > > in that sense of the word. They are also not replaceable. So I think
6 > > if we want to have this discussion we need to look at all files that
7 > > are involved in portage.
8 >
9 > Yes, the state data in /var/cache/edb should be in /var/lib, and the
10 > world file should be in /etc (or /var/lib).
11 I would have to argue against putting the world file in /etc. Portage
12 updates it according to what has been installed; it is not a static
13 configuration file. Try adding a package to your world file and running
14 'emerge --world'.
15
16 Anybody recall why the Portage state data was split between /var/db/pkg
17 and /var/cache/edb (since Paul mentioned looking at all the files
18 involved)? I would like to understand the reasons behind the original
19 decisions before I develop any strong opinions.
22 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
23 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
24 --Ghost in the Shell