From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:36:53
1 Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:26:40AM -0500, in <87ad4kt0wf.fsf@××××××××.cx>,
4 > Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o> wrote:
5 >> "Paul de Vrieze" <pauldv@g.o> writes:
6 >> > Further in the /var/cache/edb dir there are files that are not caches
7 >> > in that sense of the word. They are also not replaceable. So I think
8 >> > if we want to have this discussion we need to look at all files that
9 >> > are involved in portage.
10 >>
11 >> Yes, the state data in /var/cache/edb should be in /var/lib, and the
12 >> world file should be in /etc (or /var/lib).
13 > I would have to argue against putting the world file in /etc. Portage
14 > updates it according to what has been installed; it is not a static
15 > configuration file. Try adding a package to your world file and running
16 > 'emerge --world'.
17
18 It is a user-configurable list of packages to update when one types
19 "emerge world." In portage-ng, presumably multiple user-defined package
20 classes will be supported, as well additional options to specify whether
21 to prune entries from such files which would result in currently
22 uninstalled packages being installed, whether to add newly installed
23 packages to such files, and whether to install packages listed in such
24 files which are not currently installed. With these features, such
25 files would become more like configuration files.
26
27 (IMHO, these package class files should not be treated particularly
28 different from specifying $(cat package-class-file) on the command-line.
29 Perhaps portage-ng will also support specifying an arbitrary file to use
30 as a package class, i.e. --file-list /path/to/list/of/packages.)
31
32 As far as the world file being modified by portage, there are programs
33 (mostly GUI) which modify their own configuration files. Note that it
34 is user-configurable whether the world file is modified by portage.
35
36 > Anybody recall why the Portage state data was split between /var/db/pkg
37 > and /var/cache/edb (since Paul mentioned looking at all the files
38 > involved)? I would like to understand the reasons behind the original
39 > decisions before I develop any strong opinions.
40
41 Most of the data in /var/cache/edb is not state data -- it is mostly
42 cache data (all of the contents of the dep directory, and the virtuals
43 file). Only the contents of config, counter, eclass.pickle, mtimedb,
44 repo.fails, repo.stats are state data. The world file may have been
45 thought of as a kind of cache data (and it seems it still is, given
46 tools like regenworld), even though it is not.
49 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list