From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 03:10:31
1 On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy school, imho.
3 > user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.
4
5 Pedantic, bureaucratic, procedure-oriented, monolithic, restrictive.
6 Too conservative.
7
8 What matters is the contribution, and the result. If you don't like
9 how a user makes a contribution, don't accept the pull request, or
10 don't merge his package. Simple. If you think that could turn out to
11 be just a waste of time for them, help them correct their issues; add
12 some documentations to enlighten them and give warnings about wrong
13 practices so they don't blame anyone, and so they can decide whether
14 they would want to contribute or not given the rules presented; but,
15 _don't_ make the steps mandatory. Don't make contributions
16 restrictive. We do already allow people to send pull requests to
17 Gentoo portage's repo in Github, but it seems like they generally only
18 allow patches that fix current packages, not new features or new
19 packages.
20
21 That's the very reason why I didn't like becoming a dev. The system
22 is too conservative and old-school for me. I avoid projects where
23 collaboration is mandatory. I prefer contributing to a project with
24 open and loosely knit arrangements, and a dynamic system. Rankings,
25 team bonding mean nothing.
26
27 ---
28 konsolebox