From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 07:00:41
1 On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:09:39 +0800
2 konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy school, imho.
6 > > user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.
7 >
8 > Pedantic, bureaucratic, procedure-oriented, monolithic, restrictive.
9 > Too conservative.
10 >
11 > What matters is the contribution, and the result. If you don't like
12 > how a user makes a contribution, don't accept the pull request, or
13 > don't merge his package. Simple. If you think that could turn out to
14 > be just a waste of time for them, help them correct their issues; add
15 > some documentations to enlighten them and give warnings about wrong
16 > practices so they don't blame anyone, and so they can decide whether
17 > they would want to contribute or not given the rules presented; but,
18 > _don't_ make the steps mandatory. Don't make contributions
19 > restrictive.
20
21 You're contradicting yourself. How can improving/review of pull request
22 be non-mandatory, if otherwise we are to reject it? Of course, it all
23 depends on how you define 'mandatory'. It's not like anybody forces you
24 to do something, you know.
25
26 Sure, it may seem like we expect people to fix all the tiny issues with
27 pull requests but that's just a default profile we're assuming. Many of
28 the people actually *want* to do that. If you don't, you can tell us
29 straight ahead and we won't waste our time asking you to.
30
31 I'm also unhappy when a pull request is left open for two weeks because
32 we asked user to do a simple change, and he doesn't reply. I could've
33 fixed it myself faster but then the user would lose his chance to do
34 it. And the worst thing, I don't even know if he wants to!
35
36 > We do already allow people to send pull requests to
37 > Gentoo portage's repo in Github, but it seems like they generally only
38 > allow patches that fix current packages, not new features or new
39 > packages.
40
41 That's not true. The rules for pull requests are pretty much the same
42 as for bugs.
43
44 If a fix or enhancement makes sense, the maintainer can approve it or
45 not. Don't expect that people are going to agree with you, or consider
46 your contribution more correct just because you provided a patch
47 or a pull request. And don't expect the developer to take long-term
48 responsibility for changes he doesn't understand, use or approve.
49
50 As for new packages, the rules are simple -- someone has to maintain
51 them. Gentoo is not the kind of zero-maintenance distro where an ebuild
52 written once is good forever. With the very limited manpower Gentoo
53 has, don't expect people to just take some random package you use
54 and maintain it for you if they don't even have any clue what it does.
55
56 If you are not going to maintain your contribution, we can't guarantee
57 it will be accepted. I'm certainly not interested in having to worry
58 about 20 more maintainer-needed packages next month because someone
59 contributed an ebuild that seemed good enough.
60
61 In this case, less is better than more. A really bad thing is to
62 provide something new just to have it removed (or became useless)
63 in a month or so.
66 Best regards,
67 Michał Górny
68 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>