From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 06:11:49
1 On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:09:39 +0800
3 > konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >> > The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy school, imho.
7 >> > user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.
8 >>
9 >> Pedantic, bureaucratic, procedure-oriented, monolithic, restrictive.
10 >> Too conservative.
11 >>
12 >> What matters is the contribution, and the result. If you don't like
13 >> how a user makes a contribution, don't accept the pull request, or
14 >> don't merge his package. Simple. If you think that could turn out to
15 >> be just a waste of time for them, help them correct their issues; add
16 >> some documentations to enlighten them and give warnings about wrong
17 >> practices so they don't blame anyone, and so they can decide whether
18 >> they would want to contribute or not given the rules presented; but,
19 >> _don't_ make the steps mandatory. Don't make contributions
20 >> restrictive.
21 >
22 > You're contradicting yourself. How can improving/review of pull request
23 > be non-mandatory, if otherwise we are to reject it? Of course, it all
24 > depends on how you define 'mandatory'. It's not like anybody forces you
25 > to do something, you know.
26
27 No, you just misinterpret. You can review pull requests. You can
28 reject stuff, but don't reject them just because some laid-out steps
29 in the documentation has not been followed. Some may not be
30 completely necessary. I'm implying that these "academic" steps may
31 not be completely helpful at all times, and making us follow these
32 things only make making a contribution stiff and restrictive.
33
34 I'm mainly referring to the strict user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev
35 pathway that James is encouraging, where it seems like you have to
36 become a proxy developer first (or maybe, prove yourself first; gain
37 first some trust), before you are acknowledged to be able to
38 contribute in a manner that Alexander Berntsen has been suggesting.
39
40 These stuff imply unnecessary old-fashioned restrictions that aren't
41 "necessarily" helpful to security. It doesn't help encourage users to
42 become active.
43
44 To make it clear, I'm mostly talking about users who would want to
45 contribute, but doesn't necessarily take pledge on the responsibility
46 of maintaining a package. And isn't that what we are mostly talking
47 about? If we also talk about maintenance-ship, don't we already have
48 the proxy maintainer for that position?
49
50 > Sure, it may seem like we expect people to fix all the tiny issues with
51 > pull requests but that's just a default profile we're assuming. Many of
52 > the people actually *want* to do that. If you don't, you can tell us
53 > straight ahead and we won't waste our time asking you to.
54 >
55 > I'm also unhappy when a pull request is left open for two weeks because
56 > we asked user to do a simple change, and he doesn't reply. I could've
57 > fixed it myself faster but then the user would lose his chance to do
58 > it. And the worst thing, I don't even know if he wants to!
59
60 There's nothing I say against that.
61
62 >> We do already allow people to send pull requests to
63 >> Gentoo portage's repo in Github, but it seems like they generally only
64 >> allow patches that fix current packages, not new features or new
65 >> packages.
66 >
67 > That's not true. The rules for pull requests are pretty much the same
68 > as for bugs.
69
70 That's great if that's really the case, but a more transparent, less
71 restrictive, and more dynamic system that could attract casual
72 contributors would be better. Something like a web service where
73 their work would be officially indexed so everyone could easily find
74 it, not just the current developers of the current tree snapshot
75 they're trying to push their work to, who may reject it, if it was
76 intended to be pushed. I gave the details about this in my other
77 e-mail.
80 konsolebox