From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:13:53
1 On 06/12/2016 01:10 AM, konsolebox wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 11:09:39 +0800
4 >> konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>>> The grandiose-ness you propose should only come upon graduating from proxy school, imho.
8 >>>> user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev pathway.
9 >>>
10 >>> Pedantic, bureaucratic, procedure-oriented, monolithic, restrictive.
11 >>> Too conservative.
12 >>>
13 >>> What matters is the contribution, and the result. If you don't like
14 >>> how a user makes a contribution, don't accept the pull request, or
15 >>> don't merge his package. Simple. If you think that could turn out to
16 >>> be just a waste of time for them, help them correct their issues; add
17 >>> some documentations to enlighten them and give warnings about wrong
18 >>> practices so they don't blame anyone, and so they can decide whether
19 >>> they would want to contribute or not given the rules presented; but,
20 >>> _don't_ make the steps mandatory. Don't make contributions
21 >>> restrictive.
22 >>
23 >> You're contradicting yourself. How can improving/review of pull request
24 >> be non-mandatory, if otherwise we are to reject it? Of course, it all
25 >> depends on how you define 'mandatory'. It's not like anybody forces you
26 >> to do something, you know.
27 >
28 > No, you just misinterpret. You can review pull requests. You can
29 > reject stuff, but don't reject them just because some laid-out steps
30 > in the documentation has not been followed. Some may not be
31 > completely necessary. I'm implying that these "academic" steps may
32 > not be completely helpful at all times, and making us follow these
33 > things only make making a contribution stiff and restrictive.
34 >
35 > I'm mainly referring to the strict user-->strong-users-->proxy-->dev
36 > pathway that James is encouraging, where it seems like you have to
37 > become a proxy developer first (or maybe, prove yourself first; gain
38 > first some trust), before you are acknowledged to be able to
39 > contribute in a manner that Alexander Berntsen has been suggesting.
40
41 Wrong and misleading. I am proposing but one pathway. Come to find out,
42 others have already started a mailing list for that (proxy) pathway.
43 Furthermore, iff a fantastic programmer from Debian was to contact the
44 Gentoo staff, someone of known caliber and accomplishments, and wanted
45 to become a Gentoo dev, that person would be fast tracked, very similar
46 to a returning gentoo dev. Tom Gall, a very accomplish ARM coder,
47 recently returned for a while. He was quickly re-established as a gentoo
48 dev, and is a recognized ARM innovator. He has since gone silent and
49 returned to a more formal position within Arm development. I can think
50 of dozens more. Those are different pathways, I have no problem with
51 that fact and I'm quite happy that gentoo has multiple pathways to
52 dev-status.
55 Skills go a long way, particularly if you are established in the FOSS
56 communities. So there are multiple pathways and new ones, such as your
57 can be proposed and proven up. Just go do the work and stop whining.
58
59 Then there are the multitude of ordinary coders or coder-wannabes, that
60 do need the user-->strong-user-->proxy--> dev pathway, well defined
61 and well documented. Nothing in what I have said excludes other
62 pathways. Nothing.
63
64 I did point out that /usr/local/portage on your own system, or github do
65 exist and provide yet another pathway to dev status, when one can
66 produce a body of work and answer those quizzes... Be bold!
69 > These stuff imply unnecessary old-fashioned restrictions that aren't
70 > "necessarily" helpful to security. It doesn't help encourage users to
71 > become active.
72
73 Wrong again. If you have such a brilliant idea, let it stand on it's own
74 merits, let it be a 'back door' for interlopers on your system. I have
75 too many validated experiences with gentoo that cause me to keep a
76 conservative, trust the gentoo security devs, position rather than to
77 allow random ebuilds on my systems, be they core packages or application
78 specific. But, this does not preclude you, and your pals, from building
79 stuff outside the (gentoo) box and making those ebuilds available.
80
81 In fact the easiest thing for you to do is form a distro, and do things
82 your way, whilst maintaining close to the portage tree function. We
83 already have a wonderful distro, called Pentoo, that does just that.
84 Things are quite wonderful between these distros.
88 > To make it clear, I'm mostly talking about users who would want to
89 > contribute, but doesn't necessarily take pledge on the responsibility
90 > of maintaining a package.
91
92 There is absolutely nothing in gentoo that prevents this. But, you
93 should not expect 'a rank and file blessing from the gentoo devs',
94 without 'due diligence'.
97 > And isn't that what we are mostly talking
98 > about? If we also talk about maintenance-ship, don't we already have
99 > the proxy maintainer for that position?
100
101 Devs within Gentoo are on an aggressive pathway to purge codes (ebuild
102 packages) that do not list an accountable dev or proxy, in case you have
103 not been reading gentoo-dev for a while. Many of the purged codes still
104 work and are fine, but no one accountable, so they hit the purge button.
105
106 I know, over the last year, I have at least 50 packages in my
107 /usr/local/portage, that I intend to prioritize and then rescue. Granted
108 many are C codes that I just like, or they have few dependencies, or
109 they are small and simple focused codes. So, like you, I will be running
110 my own github, outside of portage. I also intend to try, as a proxy, to
111 keep many of them active in the tree, if it makes sense.
112
113 So I have multiple pathways to ebuild support, and it is working out,
114 just fine. My one beef, and it is fixed, is a mail list for the
115 proxy-maint, and not being forced to use irc. And that has been solved
116 in other sub-threads of this discussion.
117
118 Then there is another pathway, to build embedded linux systems into a
119 HPC cluster so the concept of discrete gentoo servers, is deprecated.
120 Mix in a bit of AI and poof, clusters for the masses. Years of work,
121 many doubters, some key supporters who are not even gentoo enthusiasts.
122 If I even get close on this own, I'm quite some devs I know will me
123 pushing strongly for me to become a gentoo dev. If I fail, I will still
124 obtain gentoo-dev level knowledge. But I do not blame gentoo for not
125 being successful (yet).
126
127 Many pathways, substantiate your dream.
130 >> Sure, it may seem like we expect people to fix all the tiny issues with
131 >> pull requests but that's just a default profile we're assuming. Many of
132 >> the people actually *want* to do that. If you don't, you can tell us
133 >> straight ahead and we won't waste our time asking you to.
134
135 >> I'm also unhappy when a pull request is left open for two weeks because
136 >> we asked user to do a simple change, and he doesn't reply. I could've
137 >> fixed it myself faster but then the user would lose his chance to do
138 >> it. And the worst thing, I don't even know if he wants to!
139 >
140 > There's nothing I say against that.
141
142 I'll bet a percentage of those open pull requests, are do to a lack of
143 knowledge, which is due to a lack of gentoo-github-centric documentation
144 and examples. I know, I've farted all over myself a few times with
145 git(hub).....
148 >>> We do already allow people to send pull requests to
149 >>> Gentoo portage's repo in Github, but it seems like they generally only
150 >>> allow patches that fix current packages, not new features or new
151 >>> packages.
152 >>
153 >> That's not true. The rules for pull requests are pretty much the same
154 >> as for bugs.
157 Where is all of this (above) documented? I need to read up and follow a
158 few examples of this.....
161 > That's great if that's really the case, but a more transparent, less
162 > restrictive, and more dynamic system that could attract casual
163 > contributors would be better. Something like a web service where
164 > their work would be officially indexed so everyone could easily find
165 > it, not just the current developers of the current tree snapshot
166 > they're trying to push their work to, who may reject it, if it was
167 > intended to be pushed. I gave the details about this in my other
168 > e-mail.
169
170 OK great. Agreed. After you find just one dev, start a gentoo-project
171 and start coding your dream. But the proven pathways, should be left
172 intact and receive further documentation, as they are working great.
173 Stop blaming others or saying that the existing pathways are
174 discouraging, because they are not. Go forth and code. A large ebuild
175 base is your best alley. Just stop implying that other things have to
176 change in your favor for your ideas to have a chance. What currently
177 exists is irrelevant to proving your ideas.
181 James