From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 12:10:45
1 On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 2:15 AM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > and start coding your dream.
3
4 I'm not that enthusiastic. It's up to the Gentoo masters if they
5 would find it helpful to the community or not.
6
7 > But the proven pathways, should be left
8 > intact and receive further documentation, as they are working great.
9 > Stop blaming others or saying that the existing pathways are discouraging,
10
11 I don't think that's exactly the case, but I gave my opinion, whether
12 I blame or not, or whether the existing pathways are good as they are
13 or not, and would stand for the next coming years.
14
15 > because they are not. Go forth and code. A large ebuild base is your best
16 > alley. Just stop implying that other things have to change in your favor for
17 > your ideas to have a chance. What currently exists is irrelevant to proving
18 > your ideas.
19
20 I'm merely giving ideas and joining the discussion, which is enough
21 for its purpose. Proving it is another thing.
22
23 Besides with current Gentoo community philosophy, it may not be worth
24 it, and is unlikely to happen. Most people doubt innovate ideas
25 before actually trying to help figure out how to make it work. I've
26 seen a lot of discussions like this and nothing has really happened.
27 I'm not really expecting anything to come out out of it. It's not
28 worth the risk to waste my time and effort. And don't tell me nothing
29 happened because the one who made the suggestions did nothing. The
30 people in control need to do their part as well.
31
32 And people always say, "This is an open-source project. Nothing's
33 stopping you from proving it. (Go ahead, take the risk.)". Yeah
34 right.
35
36 If people actually take my ideas seriously, or do anything similar to
37 it, then I might actually decide to help (in some ways besides coding
38 because I'm not in the mood to take another serious project yet, and I
39 also don't want to take a role with responsibility, or anything that
40 could leave people hanging; maybe I could be an independent beta
41 tester, check some issues from time to time; give some suggestions
42 when I want to; just not anything with explicit collaboration), but
43 whether I help or not, I already did my part.
44
45 I've said enough for this thread, and things are not becoming
46 fruitful, as expected. I'm out.
49 konsolebox