From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developers, please start switching to 17.1 amd64 profiles
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 07:01:56
1 On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Georgy Yakovlev <ya@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:36:17 AM PDT Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hi, everyone.
4 >>
5 >> With some delay, I would like to officially announce that the Council
6 >> has approved the direction in which 17.1 amd64 profiles are heading at
7 >> its 2018-04-08 meeting [1].
8 >>
9 >> [3]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/506276
10 >
11 > This eselect-mesa bug[1] needs at least some hacky workaround treatment before
12 > final and proper eselect solution is implemented.
13 >
14 > It breaks opengl/graphics stack in a really sneaky way as nothing gets
15 > eselected and absolutely no errors produced or displayed.
16 >
17 > sddm breaks, and some other X/OpenGL features do not work.
18 > I have a patch from the bugreport in /etc/portage/patches for now, but
19 > it takes users a while to figure it out why X11 or mesa was partially broken.
20 >
21 > Can this bug be given some priority treatment?
22 > This will provide much smoother profile switch experience for desktop users.
23 > Rest of LIBDIR bugs break software/build in a more obvious way and easy do
24 > detect and work around or fix.
25 >
26 > [1]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/486712
27 >
28 > --
29 > Georgy.
30
31 I just dropped eselect-mesa support from media-libs/mesa -- see bug
32 https://bugs.gentoo.org/576334
33
34 I'll be giving it last rites after Mesa 18.1 is stabilized. Go forth and test :)