From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.4.1 and GRP
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:53:43
1 On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:39:07PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:30:29PM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
3 > > I was going more for the manageability aspect - drop Gentoo in place
4 > > inside 30 minutes, update to the latest GRP packages, then begin
5 > > optimizing - I'd like to think of myself as an advanced user, and I'd
6 > > really find it traumatic to have to wait 56 hours for my Athlon XP to
7 > > rebuild from stage1 into GNOME 2.4 and get myself back to a functional
8 > > workstation.
9 >
10 > I'm sure you've tried Debian or any other distribution then, because that's
11 > exactly what they do. They provide you with a quick and easy installation of
12 > binary packages. For the packages you want optimization, they provide an easy
13 > way to create packages for it.
14 >
15 > If I want my system to return to Gnome 2.4 after some crash, I use my
16 > backups. If I install Gentoo, I know that I have to wait a certain amount of
17 > time, but thats what I expect from a source-based distribution. If I want a
18 > quick installation, I'll use a different distribution.
19 >
20 > This is a harsh state of mind, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking
21 > like this.
24 Absolutely agreed.
25
26 I feel we should strive for being good at what we've always been good at
27 rather than mediocre at everything.
31 Jon Portnoy
32 avenj/irc.freenode.net
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list