From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:18:31
1 On Saturday 04 October 2003 3:04 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
2
3 > emerge linux-mm-src, then. or emerge linux-redhat-src, if you prefer.
4
5 Sorry, but renaming packages always makes a mess of upgrades. I've done it
6 myself in the past, but I'm reluctant to do it again until Portage provides
7 us with tools to automate the migration for users.
8
9 Besides, what value is there in adding 'linux-' in front of the different
10 kernel names? I know Gentoo's being ported to run on more than just the
11 Linux kernel, but still. Seems like change for change's sake.
12
13 > Just because you choose not to use it doesn't mean you should be forcing
14 > other people not to be able to. This provides the *option* to use it.
15 > Options are always best.
16
17 Simplicity is always best. Options are good, but only when they add
18 measurable value. Or when they're just too cool to leave out ;-)
19
20 > That annoying habit is what should be fixed, then. Using a bug as a reason
21 > to not implement a feature isn't a good idea... =p
22
23 If it was that easy, I think someone would have fixed it by now ... ;-) Tbh,
24 the fix is probably just to slot the module, using a combination of the
25 target kernel version and the module's version.
26
27 If what you're proposing are changes *just* to genkernel, then I don't really
28 care what you do. But you're talking like you're suggesting fundamental
29 changes to the kernel ebuilds themselves. *That's* what I'm objecting to ;-)
30
31 > For the most part, what I am suggesting is adding options, not removing
32 > them. Where people used vanilla-sources in the past (which is quite vague
33 > actually; why should one assume -sources means it's Linux?),
34
35 Erm, because the package is actually called sys-kernel/vanilla-sources,
36 perhaps? ;-) And because the distribution is known as Gentoo Linux? ;-)
37
38 Seriously, I do see the problem you're describing. But before you go around
39 renaming packages, please implement a solution in Portage that will
40 automatically handle 'emerge -u' when the package has been renamed.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Stu
44 --
45 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
46 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
47 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
48 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
49
50 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
51 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C