From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed patch
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:41:16
1 On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:01:20PM -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > At 2005-02-21T09:58:45-0800, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 08:09:08AM +0100, Johan Swensson wrote:
4 > > > I would like to suggest that you add
5 > > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbs-linux/ to genpatches. It would
6 > > > be nice. And the code SEEMS pretty stable. Atleast for my laptop :)
7 > >
8 > > <stock answer when people ask for new patches to be added to the
9 > > gentoo kernel> No. Get the authors to submit the patch to upstream,
10 > > and then it will show up in the Gentoo kernel, as well as all other
11 > > kernels. </stock>
12 > >
13 > > If you submit a bug, it will get marked with the same response...
14 >
15 > So what about patches that the kernel maintainers have specifically
16 > decided to exclude, such as the TARPIT target for iptables? This handy
17 > module is implemented as part of the iptables Patch-O-Matics. Some of
18 > the POMs are a bit unstable, but this one is kept out of the main kernel
19 > tree for political reasons. Some purists consider it to be "protocol
20 > abuse".
21
22 And, because of that, I will always defer to the upstream kernel
23 maintainers, like I would hope that you also would.
24
25 Are you willing to put the time and effort in to maintain, forward port,
26 and handle all possible bug reports in the kernel area that is touched
27 by this patch? I didn't think so :)
28
29 > I have specific interest in the TARPIT patch, but in a more general
30 > sense, it's just an example of the many fine patches available for the
31 > kernel. It really seems quite un-Gentoo-ish (whatever that means) to so
32 > blanketly dismiss them.
33
34 Not at all, this is the gentoo kernel philosophy. I think we even have
35 a web site that specifies this somewhere...
36
37 thanks,
38
39 greg k-h