From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed patch
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 03:01:23
1 At 2005-02-21T09:58:45-0800, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 08:09:08AM +0100, Johan Swensson wrote:
3 > > I would like to suggest that you add
4 > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/sbs-linux/ to genpatches. It would
5 > > be nice. And the code SEEMS pretty stable. Atleast for my laptop :)
6 >
7 > <stock answer when people ask for new patches to be added to the
8 > gentoo kernel> No. Get the authors to submit the patch to upstream,
9 > and then it will show up in the Gentoo kernel, as well as all other
10 > kernels. </stock>
11 >
12 > If you submit a bug, it will get marked with the same response...
13
14 So what about patches that the kernel maintainers have specifically
15 decided to exclude, such as the TARPIT target for iptables? This handy
16 module is implemented as part of the iptables Patch-O-Matics. Some of
17 the POMs are a bit unstable, but this one is kept out of the main kernel
18 tree for political reasons. Some purists consider it to be "protocol
19 abuse".
20
21 I have specific interest in the TARPIT patch, but in a more general
22 sense, it's just an example of the many fine patches available for the
23 kernel. It really seems quite un-Gentoo-ish (whatever that means) to so
24 blanketly dismiss them.
25
26 What say ye?
29 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
30 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
31 --Ghost in the Shell
32 --
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list