From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category sci-geosciences redundant?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 09:58:09
1 On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:33:12PM +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2 > I've been suggesting renaming packages appropriately, but the idea's
3 > been shot down with 'We use upstream names' a few times already.
4 One unavoidable problem that will come up as a result of renaming
5 binaries to avoid collisions, is that if some other package expects them
6 by a specific name, it will have to be patched as well (I've seen a
7 Makefile that used dev-util/par).
8
9 > Still, I cannot restrain myself from hacking down your example from
10 > above. It's just too good an oportunity to miss. :)
11 Congratulations, you've found a bug.
12 We keep trying to squash the critters, but they proliferate like crazy.
13
14 Package collisions like this are actually really hard to detect in an
15 automated fashion (without installing every package you want to test).
16 We don't have any comprehensive database of the files that a package
17 installs (at least that I'm aware of). rpmfind and other databases exist
18 for other distros (packages.debian.org has this functionality too). This
19 data would probably come up as a by-product of a build tinderbox
20 (inside a Xen instance maybe?).
21
22 [snip bug data]
23 Would you mind copying this into a bug report, for the appropriate
24 maintainers? (they might not be reading this thread)
25
26 > Fix these collisions, and I'll tell you how to fix the problem with
27 > their names.
28 Actually, we are at somewhat of a chicken and egg problem, as it makes
29 it a reasonable amount of sense for the non-colliding package name to
30 reflect the name of the binary. I think it would be worthwhile to see if
31 there is any sane naming convention other flat-namespace distributions
32 have adopted for a package name with collisions, and try to stick to any
33 existing name scheme.
34 (See for example 'aggregate' and 'aggregate-flim', both packages are
35 known as 'aggregate' by upstream - they were developed independently,
36 without any knowledge that the other exists. They do roughly the same
37 thing, in two very different ways, but still have a slight
38 non-overlapping featureset).
41 Robin Hugh Johnson
42 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
43 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
44 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
45 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85