From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category sci-geosciences redundant?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:33:31
1 maillog: 17/03/2005-01:58:07(-0800): Robin H. Johnson types
2 > On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:33:12PM +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > > I've been suggesting renaming packages appropriately, but the idea's
4 > > been shot down with 'We use upstream names' a few times already.
5 > One unavoidable problem that will come up as a result of renaming
6 > binaries to avoid collisions, is that if some other package expects them
7 > by a specific name, it will have to be patched as well (I've seen a
8 > Makefile that used dev-util/par).
9
10 I guess we are talking about slightly different things here. I was
11 suggesting renaming packages, as in "app-text/par" becoming
12 "app-text/par-formatter". I never suggested anything about the names of
13 the binaries, because they have nothing to do with the flatness (or
14 multilevelness, multicategoriness) of the tree.
15
16 This thing about a "Makefile" that uses "dev-util/par" -- I don't get
17 it. Did you mean that a Makefile expected /usr/bin/par? That's beyound
18 my point anyway.
19
20 The point that I am making (I think it was clear enough, but why not
21 state it again) is:
22
23 - There is nothing bad in renaming packages, when the short upstream
24 names collide.
25
26 I tried to illustrate it with:
27
28 - If installed files are being renamed in order to avoid collisions,
29 there is nothing bad in renaming packages to avoid package name
30 clashes as well.
31
32 The collisions simply helped me prove my point. If Gentoo is going to
33 call "par" -- the command, not by its upstream name which is
34 /usr/bin/par but /usr/bin/par-formatter instead, then why should it
35 insist on calling its package app-text/par and not
36 app-text/par-formatter? (this is only for illustration).
37
38 > > Still, I cannot restrain myself from hacking down your example from
39 > > above. It's just too good an oportunity to miss. :)
40 > Congratulations, you've found a bug.
41 > We keep trying to squash the critters, but they proliferate like crazy.
42
43 Oh, it is not a mere bug. It is an *opportunity*! app-text/par is just
44 begging to be renamed to app-text/par-formatter. If enough devs get
45 convinced and do that, I'll have my precedent to refer to, when nagging
46 you about all other duplicate names. And in the end, we get a great flat
47 tree, with multiple categories and no more 'I am gonna move some stuff
48 from foo-bar to foo-gaz and break the tree for you', moving directories
49 in CVS, breaking users' overlays, etc.
50
51 > Package collisions like this are actually really hard to detect in an
52 > automated fashion (without installing every package you want to test).
53 > We don't have any comprehensive database of the files that a package
54 > installs (at least that I'm aware of). rpmfind and other databases
55 > exist for other distros (packages.debian.org has this functionality
56 > too). This data would probably come up as a by-product of a build
57 > tinderbox (inside a Xen instance maybe?).
58
59 http://www.gentoo-stats.org/ has the information. The database is still
60 poor, but it will hopefully improve. It had nothing about the "par"s for
61 example, hence the need to read the ebuilds, which luckily were pretty
62 clear.
63
64 > [snip bug data]
65 > Would you mind copying this into a bug report, for the appropriate
66 > maintainers? (they might not be reading this thread)
67
68 Alright. Bug #85610 if anyone feels like CC-ing the maintainers.
69
70 > > Fix these collisions, and I'll tell you how to fix the problem with
71 > > their names.
72 > Actually, we are at somewhat of a chicken and egg problem, as it makes
73 > it a reasonable amount of sense for the non-colliding package name to
74 > reflect the name of the binary. I think it would be worthwhile to see if
75 > there is any sane naming convention other flat-namespace distributions
76 > have adopted for a package name with collisions, and try to stick to any
77 > existing name scheme.
78
79 I've looked into it (when I was raising the issue before).
80 Unfortunately, the other distros simply do not have the colliding
81 packages. Searching for "par" on rpmfind.net found the different rpms
82 for different distros, but not both app-{arch,text}/par for the same
83 distro.
84
85 > (See for example 'aggregate' and 'aggregate-flim', both packages are
86 > known as 'aggregate' by upstream - they were developed independently,
87 > without any knowledge that the other exists. They do roughly the same
88 > thing, in two very different ways, but still have a slight
89 > non-overlapping featureset).
92 | Georgi Georgiev | Lucas' Law: Good will always win, because |
93 | chutz@×××.net | evil hires the _stupid_ engineers. |
94 | +81(90)6266-1163 | |