From: Simone Gotti <simone.gotti@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:03:15
1 On Sunday 19 September 2004 16:48, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > > The aren't badly written, this is the right behavior, For example kmail
3 > > wants to compile against libkdepim. You can't link against a library that
4 > > isn't already installed o an old installed one with less functions.
5 >
6 > Should be a fallback IMHO. configure can check for things like that. At
7 > least, we're going to have to make it do that if we go through with this
8 > :-)
9 > As for old versions, isn't that what library versions are for?
10 You're right. The real problem is that library version usually are the same in
11 ALL kde 3.X. Because they must be Binary Compatible (B.C.) (this means of
12 course al source compatible). In c++ you can mantain the B.C. also adding
13 some new methods to a class, with the exception that this one doesn't have to
14 be a virtual method. I've noticed that between every version of kde some libs
15 ends with the same *.so.X.X also if they adds some new functions (I hope to
16 be wrong...).
19 By the way, I think that it's possible to split EVERY kde program/libs in a
20 single package, this can be possibile by heavily patching the Makefiles like
21 you've said so they can link to an installed lib instead of the local one,
22 this libs will be a dep of the program and it should be of course a different
23 ebuild.
24
25 I'm already giving a little help to caleb and carlo on the kde ebuilds and if
26 ypu and they think that a lot of people thinks that having single kde
27 programs instead of the standard modules will be a better idea I'll be VERY
28 happy to start hacking on this. My great fear is that it will slow down the
29 development of the ebuilds because this bring to a lot of additional work!
30 Think that probably the Makefile's patches must be changed on every kde major
31 release.
32
33 All I need is to know if you (gentoo kde developers) are really interested on
34 this work. Let me know!
35
36 Bye!
37 --