From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:07:22
1 Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> posted
2 20080616083401.1703135a@××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 16
3 Jun 2008 08:34:01 -0400:
4
5 > Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
6 >> As for why it would be more useful than eerror/ewarn without an
7 >> argument: it would potentially allow for intelligent "context-based"
8 >> coloring of the "*" (based on surrounding lines).
9 >
10 > Well, this is true and it isn't... In the case of:
11 >
12 > ewarn line one
13 > eblank
14 > ewarn line two
15 >
16 > Obviously it would be the same as ewarn. However, what about here:
17 >
18 > ewarn line one
19 > eblank
20 > elog line two
21 > eblank
22 > einfo line three
23
24 Here's a novel idea, let blank lines be /real/ blank lines! =8^)
25
26 Seriously, when it's different messages, having a * of /any/ color
27 between them only confuses the case, that they /are/ different messages.
28 If it's paragraphs of the same message, then the color of the * isn't an
29 issue, just make it the same color as that for the other content lines of
30 the message.
31
32 Sometimes I'll check the messages, and see two or three different logs/
33 warnings/whatever discussed in what appears to be the same message. That
34 shouldn't be the case. I should be able to scan thru them and as soon as
35 I note that it's a message I've read before, be able to skip to the next
36 one. As it is, I have to read thru the entire message just to see if
37 something new got added to the end.
38
39 Talking about which, what I'd like would be a date-stamp noting when the
40 message was added, or better yet, some indication of the message being
41 either new or something that's necessary to check each time, even on -r
42 updates and remerges. If I'm updating something that has a number of
43 messages and is frequently updated, I should be able to see immediately
44 the new messages added since the last time I updated, and the ones that
45 always apply. Of course, that's not entirely practical to try to
46 implement, but it'd be nice, and it does reinforce why I'd prefer /real/
47 blanks between messages, not ones with colored stars that may or may not
48 make it look like the entire group of messages are just one single long
49 message, depending on whether they're all the same color or not.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
57 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list